Program for the Education and Enrichment of Relational Skills (PEERS ®) is a 14-week evidence- based social skills intervention for motivated teens in middle school or high school who are interested in learning ways to help them make and keep friends. During each 90 minute session teens are taught important social skills and are given the opportunity to practice these skills in session during real play activities (e.g. playing sports, board games, etc.). While the teens are meeting, parents meet in a separate room, and are taught how to assist their teens in making and keeping friends by providing feedback through coaching during weekly socialization homework assignments.
Enrollment is limited. Classes are on Wednesday evenings at the Instepps office. Regular attendance is imperative. Parent participation is required.
Topics of Instruction:
- How to use appropriate conversational skills
- How to find common interests by trading information
- How to appropriately use humor
- How to enter and exit conversations between peers
- How to handle rejection, teasing, and bullying
- How to handle rumors and gossip
- How to make phone calls to friends
- How to choose appropriate friends
- How to be a good sport
- How to handle arguments and disagreements
- How to change a bad reputation
- Call our office at (949)474-1493 to complete a 15-minute phone screening with a member of our staff, and subsequently receive an enrollment packet in the mail.
- Complete and return your enrollment packet.
- Come in (parent and child) for a 1 hour intake appointment with one of your clinicians to determine if our program is appropriate for you and your child.
Please call our office for information about our current fees. Self-pay fees are $100 per week plus a one- time intake fee. Many insurance companies may cover part of the cost of the program. Please contact us for further questions.
*The next round of PEERS for Teens begins Wednesday, September 18th and enrollment has begun – please contact us at (949)474-1493, or email Elise at Elisel@instepps.com to begin the enrollment process! We are also taking ongoing applicants for future groups.
Peers® UCLA. Clinic: http://www.semel.ucla.edu/peers
Peers® In the news: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbT_ODodzBM